Sunday, March 20, 2011

Composting on my roof

We have this great space on the roof and I think I will grow some plants up there this spring (the apartment is a little overcrowded with our plants) but I really want to figure out a way to compost on the roof. I have been reading all sorts of trashy forums trying to figure out the best way. Maggie and I have been juicing a lot recently and there is so much good waste from the juicer, I hate just throwing it out.

I don't know that much about composting but several people were comparing the green matter to the brown matter and finding a balance between these two. I wonder if I could use old magazines or newspaper for the brown part... I think I will have plenty of green. I think I need to do a bit more research...

Also I have to find some sort of long stick that I can use to turn it in the 32 gallon trash can, like a witch with a potion brewing (a potion to make the plants grow faster)


Several people also talked about how you cant get enough circulation when using a plastic bin... but I think I just need to drill a ton of holes in it

No comments:

Post a Comment